Friends of Hunting Creek
Who We Are
The Friends of Hunting Creek is a group of concerned citizens in the Hunting Creek Watershed partnering with the American Chestnut Land Trust to advocate for the health of Hunting Creek and host events that give community members an opportunity to explore the natural resources around them!
The Friends of Hunting Creek envision a future where current residents and future generations act as stewards of a balanced ecosystem functioning sustainably within a healthy, resilient Hunting Creek watershed.
The mission of the Friends of Hunting Creek is to promote the ecological health and resiliency of the watershed’s 50 miles of streams and landscape so that landowners, citizens, government agencies, and elected officials together take an active role in protecting and sustaining the natural and cultural resources.
Facts About Hunting Creek
- The Hunting Creek watershed covers 19,878 acres of central Calvert County, Maryland.
- It is the largest of the County’s 22 watersheds and a major tributary to the lower Patuxent River.
- The mainstem Hunting Creek and its many tributaries comprise about 50 miles of tidal and non-tidal streams.
- The eastern, western, and southern portions of the Prince Frederick Town Center drain into Hunting Creek.
- The watershed is currently 56% forested, 29% farmland, 8% impervious land cover, and is criss-crossed by 120 miles of roads
- The Friends of Hunting Creek are committed to ensuring that the 9,500 people who live in the watershed will continue to thrive among Nature’s abundance.
Citizen Science and Action in Hunting Creek
- Water Quality Monitoring This past year, the Friends of Hunting Creek Participated in ACLT’s Water Quality Blitz. We tested several sites in Hunting Creek for nitrogen levels with the help of the Chesapeake Biological Lab. Click here to see the report.
- Community Engagement We host paddles on a regular basis in order to get together with current members and connect with the community and the land!
- Stormwater Management Issues The Friends of Hunting Creek has also been monitoring the recent development in the Prince Frederick Town Center and our current storm water management systems. One of the Friend’s keystone issues has become preventing the increase in impervious land cover across the watershed. Check out the slides below, and the link to our StoryMap to learn more!