Native people used the area around Parkers Creek for thousands of years before European settlers arrived in the 1600s. Few artifacts have been found, however, suggesting that native usage was for temporary hunting camps.
Parkers Creek is named for the English settler William Parker, who received a land patent in 1651. By the end of the 1600s, several properties in the neighborhood were in agricultural production. Tobacco was the farmers' cash crop, often grown, harvested, and prepared for market by enslaved African American laborers. After the Civil War, tobacco continued as the area's main "money crop," with many black and white farmers working as tenants, renters, or small-scale farm owners.
ACLT historic sites include a cemetery with burials from the early nineteenth century. Most of the trust's cultural resources, however, date from the twentieth century, for example, barns and small dwellings, together with remnants of such activities as a pound net fishery at the mouth of the creek.