Become a Maryland Master Naturalist at ACLT!
Share your love of nature! A “Master Naturalist” is a citizen scientist who is dedicated to the care and conservation of Maryland’s natural environment. Certified Master Naturalists share their knowledge with the community through guided hikes and canoe trips, create and improve habitat for wildlife, work with scientists to monitor the health of our land and waterways, find and help remove invasive species that are damaging our native plants, and so much more!
Maryland Master Naturalist Class
Registration for the Class of 2024 is now OPEN!
- Classes will take place on Monday evenings from 6-9 pm from March 4, 2024 through June 17, 2024. Classes are normally held at the ACLT office in Prince Frederick, except for mandatory fields trips. The class schedule will be adjusted for the Memorial Day holiday.
- The following classes/field trips will be held in addition to the regular schedule (dates to be determined):
- Herp Hunt
- Ornithology Field Trip
- Dendrology Field Trip
- Canoe Trip on Parkers Creek
- Classes cover Maryland natural history topics such as geology, birds, mammals, Chesapeake Bay issues, fresh and saltwater ecology, tree identification, and many more.
- To become and remain certified as a Maryland Master Naturalist, participants must complete at least 40 volunteer service hours per year at ACLT, Cove Point Natural Heritage Trust, or Calvert County Natural Resources/Calvert Nature Society – time well spent improving wildlife habitat, helping with research projects, caring for the land and helping the natural world, and educating the public!
- The class fee is $250 and is not due until after acceptance into the program.
- Complete the application by clicking on the links below.
- Your application will be reviewed and if complete, a phone interview will be scheduled.
- We will contact the references listed on your application (3 required).
- Once all interviews are complete and references are checked, you will be notified as to whether you have been accepted into the program.
- If accepted, you will need to register with the University of Maryland and pay the class fee.
Complete the Application Form by clicking here.
Want to know what the class experience is like? Check out our blog post from former ACLT staff member Mike Molina.
Have questions about about the upcoming class? Contact ACLT Land Manager and Program Coordinator, Autumn Phillips-Lewis, at 410-414-3400 or at firstname.lastname@example.org
Important! Please Click Here to read more about the Maryland Master Naturalist Program
prior to completing the application.