ACLT's 2020 Parkers Creek Challenge TRIATHLON
Saturday, September 26, 2020 – 9 a.m. – 1 p.m. (Rain Date: Sunday, September 27th)
Are you ready to take the CHALLENGE?
ACLT’s triathlon with a twist starts with a round trip 9-mile bike ride from the ACLT’s South Side trailhead on Scientists Cliffs Road in Port Republic, MD to St. Leonard Elementary School in St. Leonard and back; running 2 miles to the Chesapeake Bay along Scientists Cliffs Road and through the Warrior’s Rest sanctuary; paddling a 3-mile round trip on the Bay and pristine Parkers Creek; and making the return 2-mile run to the South Side trailhead.
New this year – We are offering the option to complete a “virtual” biathlon (same bike ride and a 4-mile trail run/walk) to be completed on your own time. Click here for all the details.
- Beginning at the ACLT South Side trailhead (2650 Scientists Cliffs Rd, Port Republic, MD 20676), bike to Parkers Creek Rd, turning left onto Parkers Creek Rd to MD-765 S. Turn left onto MD-765 S and ride to the St. Leonard Elementary School (5370 St. Leonard Rd, St. Leonard MD 20685), turn around and return to the South Side trailhead by the same route. Drop off bike.
- Run east on Scientists Cliffs Rd and down the Warrior’s Rest driveway to the Bay shore launch site. Launch kayak/canoe/paddle board.
- Paddle approximately 300 yards from the launch site on the Bay to Parkers Creek, turning left into the Creek and paddling to the designated turnaround point (a total of 1.5 miles), returning to Warrior’s Rest, for a total of 3 miles.
- Run back up the Warrior’s Rest driveway to Scientists Cliffs Rd and follow it to the South Side trailhead, completing the Challenge.
*Calvert County Sheriff’s Deputies will direct traffic.
- Participants must provide their own kayak, canoe, or paddle board (paddle and PFD), and bike.
- Kayaks/canoes/paddle boards MUST be dropped off during the registration time on Friday September 25 between 4 – 7:30 pm at the Warrior’s Rest launch site (1920 Scientists Cliffs Road, Port Republic, Md.).
- Kayaks/canoes/paddle boards must be removed from ACLT property immediately following the event.
- Kayaks/canoes/paddle boards will be moved to the shore by ACLT personnel for the race and delivered to the South Side trailhead after the race is completed. If a participant drops off a kayak/canoe/paddle board on Friday but does not show up for the race on Saturday, the participant is responsible for making arrangements to pick it up at a later date. ACLT is not responsible for unclaimed race equipment.
- All participants must read and consent to the ACLT waivers of liability at time of registration.
Friday, September 25 – Registration packet pickup and kayak/canoe/paddle board drop off: 4-7:30 pm at Warrior’s Rest (1920 Scientists Cliffs Road, Port Republic, MD 20676)
Saturday, September 26 – Race Day check-in at 9:00 am; Race starts at 10:00 am
Timing & Awards
The race clock will be at the finish line. Timing is unofficial. New this year: 60 and over category!
Winners receive an official ACLT race medallion (made from handcrafted pottery).
60 & Over Prizes: Top Male and Top Female Overall
Under 60 Prizes: Top 3 Males and Top 3 Females Overall
Volunteers are critical to making this event fun, safe, and enjoyable for everyone. We rely heavily on volunteer support, and are always looking for folks who don’t mind waking up early and lending a hand. If you’d like to volunteer, please contact Autumn Phillips-Lewis at (410) 414-3400 or email firstname.lastname@example.org
A NOTE ABOUT EVENT FEES & T-SHIRTS – PLEASE READ!
NEW THIS YEAR! Order your own event t-shirts and have them shipped directly to you! Lots of colors and styles to choose from at affordable prices! Our fees have been reduced substantially to reflect this change. A portion of the proceeds from the sale of the t-shirts will benefit ACLT. Other t-shirt designs also available in our online store.
- ACLT Members: (was $40) New Price: $25/participant. See note about event t-shirt above.
- New Member Discount: $30/participant – One membership for up to 2 individuals living in same household. See note about event t-shirt above.
- General Fee/Non-Members: (was $50) New Price: $35/participant. See note about event t-shirt above.
Each registrant will receive the following:
- RACE NUMBER – Each participant will receive race number for their boat, bike, and race bib. The bib number must be worn on the front of the body and be visible at all times.
- POST-RACE FOOD & DRINK – Participants are encouraged to stay after the race for complimentary refreshments and the awards ceremony (while maintaining social distancing).
Cancellations & Refunds
- Rain Date: Sunday, September 27th (no refunds). If inclement weather continues or prohibits use of roads/creek on the rain date, full refunds will be issued.
- Cancellations by participants must be made by September 11th to receive a refund. A $5 service fee will be charged.
- If the government issues a “stay-at-home” order that prevents the event from being held, refunds will be issued.
- Anyone on the wait list will be notified in the order in which they registered as soon as possible and no later than Monday, September 21st.
While participating in the Parkers Creek Challenge, “social distancing” must be practiced and face coverings worn at all times before and after the actual race to reduce the risks of exposure to COVID-19. Because COVID-19 is extremely contagious and is spread mainly from person-to-person contact, ACLT has put in place preventative measures to reduce the spread. However, ACLT cannot guarantee that its participants, volunteers, or others in attendance will not become infected with COVID-19. A waiver of liability must be electronically signed at registration.
- Individuals who, within fourteen (14) days prior to the event, have experienced any symptoms associated with COVID-19, which include fever, cough, and shortness of breath among others;
- Individuals who have traveled at any point within fourteen (14) days prior to the event, either internationally or to a community in the U.S. that has experienced or is experiencing sustained community spread of COVID-19; or
- Individuals who believe that they may have been exposed to a confirmed or suspected case of COVID-19 or have been diagnosed with COVID-19 and are not yet cleared as non-contagious by state or local public health authorities or the health care team responsible for their treatment.
Duty to Self-Monitor After Event: Participants and volunteers agree to self-monitor for signs and symptoms of COVID-19 and contact ACLT at email@example.com if he/she experiences symptoms of COVID-19 within 14 days after participating in or volunteering at the Parkers Creek Challenge.
Race begins and ends at ACLT’s South Side Trailhead: 2650 Scientists Cliffs Road, Port Republic, MD 20676