What is the Calvert Clean-Up?
For years ACLT has organized groups to clean up various properties that needed special attention in the Parkers Creek Watershed. Every year, we get calls from people who want to know how they can help across the county.
This year, we’ve decided to make that happen! Here’s how you can participate:
Gather your team!
The “Calvert Clean-up” is a fun activity for a team, a scout group or a group of friends of any age! Everyone is welcome to help, but kids 16 and under must participate with adult supervision. The date and time of your clean-up is up to you. This program begins on Saturday April 13th and runs through Earth Day on April 22nd.
**We will be sharing your pictures! If you want to have team uniforms, colors, tutus (whatever!) feel free! Have fun and share it with the world!**
Identify a location to clean-up
Here are some suggestions for clean-ups:
- In your neighborhood: Is there a common area that bits of litter have gathered?
- In parks: have you seen trash in some places that our county staff friends might have missed?
- A neighbor’s larger yard (with permission only): Sometimes, our neighbors have property that over the years stuff has collected for lots of reasons, mostly at no fault of the homeowner!
- Around businesses (with permission): Most of us are so busy caring for our businesses and families that we don’t see or just can’t get to areas by parking lots that litter has blown into.
- Along waterways – One of the MOST IMPORTANT places to clean up! Living in Calvert, we’re all near the Bay, the Patuxent, creeks or streams. If you know someone who has property with a waterway or has access to a waterway GET PERMISSION FROM THE OWNERS and schedule your clean-up with them.
Wait…what about along the roads?
Currently this program does not include roadways. ACLT is talking to State and County road management to find the safest way to help clean up some of the road ways during the Earth Day season – and not just this year but every year! We are working things out and will release that information as soon as possible. We encourage you to find another location for now and we’ll announce when we have a plan for roads.
***More than anything else, your safety comes first!***
Picking up trash along the sides of RT 4 or most roads is dangerous. Please call Pam at ACLT’s office 410-414-3400 to discuss further. Currently this program does not include roadways.
Fill out this online form to let us know you’re participating:
(or scroll to the bottom of this page)
Gather your supplies:
- Hat (bright colored clothing are the best choice for visibility)
- Long Sleeved Shirts
- Long pants
- Closed toe, sturdy shoes
- Bug Spray
- Work gloves
- Trash Bags
- Anit-bacterial gel
Plan for safety first! Keep an eye out for Cars, Ticks and Poison Ivy
- Any clean-up near vehicles is dangerous. Please stay off of roads or near cars that can be distracted by your activity. Again call Pam at the office to discuss further. 410-414-3400
- We’re in Calvert County, right? Assume there are ticks! Wear long sleeves, long pants and closed toe shoes. We also suggest bug spray. (That’s what we wear every time!) When you’re done your project, put your clothes in the dryer on hot for 20 minutes before washing. Then check yourself and help kids check carefully for ticks.
- Use work gloves or heavy disposable gloves. Be particularly careful picking up metal items. When in doubt about safety, do not touch the item. Let us know what and where the item is and we’ll report it with our list.
- If you find anything very large, dangerous or suspicious, do not touch it, note its location and let us know.
Under all circumstances:
- DO NOT clean up along a roadway until further notice.
- DO NOT trespass on private property. You may ask for permission – but do so with kindness (you don’t know how or why the property is in the condition it is in) and accept their response without argument. There are plenty of places to clean up!
Come check in and say hello at ACLT on Sunday April 14th between 12 and 2pm!
We’ll have some fun activities, lots of information, and will be there to talk about your project.
If you can’t join us, please let us know you’ll be participating and where you plan to clean-up by filling out this online form. (or scroll to the bottom of this page.)
PLUS! We’ll have several Earth Day photo booths set up for you to get some awesome team and individual pics!
Calvert Clean Up Kick Off!
Sunday April 14th 12pm – 2pm
ACLT’s North Side Trailhead
676 Double Oak Rd
Prince Frederick, MD 20678
Take a “Before” picture and an “After” picture.
Share your pics to ACLT’s Facebook Page or tag on Instagram with #HikeACLT #CalvertCleanUp. You can also email them to firstname.lastname@example.org to be shared in our newsletters. We’ll be sharing and celebrating your successes straight through Earth Day and beyond! We’re looking for prizes and fun ways to thank all of our participants! Check back in soon for more info!
ACLT Community Relations Manager