Hunting Season Schedule – September 2022 thru February 2023
Hunting season is upon us, and while that makes some of our friends happy, it frustrates others. Out of respect to all, the best we can do is to help everyone enjoy the land in whatever way they are most comfortable.
There is an overpopulation of deer in Southern Maryland, which causes problems for our forests and other native animals. Hunting is the best way to manage the deer population and mitigate these issues.
From September to February, hikers can use this calendar to see which days hunting is allowed. Some of ACLT’s trails are located on land owned by ACLT, while other trails run through land that is owned by the Maryland Department of Natural Resources (DNR) and managed by ACLT. View a map of ACLT and DNR lands here.
There are two key differences between DNR-owned land and ACLT-owned land with regards to hunting:
- ACLT-owned land is private, and only members of the Parkers Creek Conservation Society may hunt there. We currently have more hunters interested in hunting here than we can accommodate but if you would like to be put on the waitlist, please email the Land Manager at firstname.lastname@example.org to receive the application. The DNR-owned land within the Parkers Creek watershed is known as the Parkers Creek Wildlife Management Area (WMA) and it is open to public hunting. If you have questions regarding hunting on DNR Parkers Creek WMA, contact the Myrtle Grove WMA Office at (301) 743-5161.
- Hunting is not allowed on Sundays on DNR-owned land. On ACLT-owned land, members of the Parkers Creek Conservation Society may hunt before 9 A.M. on Sundays when it is permitted on private land.
Trails that run only through ACLT-owned land:
- All of ACLT’s south side trails (Frog Pond Trail, Ridge Loop, Flint Trail, Laurel Loop, Karen’s Trail, East Loop, Wallace Lane, Chestnut Trail, Cemetery Lane, Hughes Trail, and Less Traveled Path). Only bow hunting is allowed on the land surrounding these trails; gun hunting is never allowed.
- Griffin Meadow Trail
- Holly Hill Trail
Trails that run partly or fully through DNR-owned land:
- PF2Bay Trail
- Horse Swamp to Bay Overlook
- Parkers Creek Loop
- Double Oak Road Trail
- North-South Trail
Stay Safe on the Trails
For peace of mind, we encourage everyone to consider the following suggestions:
- When in the forests, wear bright colors (orange and red are especially good) and avoid earth tones (browns, dark greens, etc.) NEW! Purchase your hunting season sweatshirt today!
- Add a brightly colored item to your leashed dog as well for their safety.
- Avoid early morning and late evening hikes as this is the time when most hunters are in the
As always, please reach out to a staff member with any questions or concerns. We can be reached at 410-414-3400 and at email@example.com.
Click to download the entire schedule here.